Week 3

September 1, 2015

Thick fog hampers morning's operations

Today marks the mid-way point in our 6-week patrol before being relieved by Laurier's alternate crew. The morning was marked by heavy fog, lumpy waves, moderate winds and temperatures hovering near 2 degrees Celsius.

With the fog impairing visibility, helicopter and most survey operations were affected. Our helicopter cannot operate in those conditions, so no flight travel was scheduled until conditions improved. As well, the inability to spot the drifting floes and the risk of damage to the Laurier's multibeam pole from collision with the ice was also considered significantly high, so we kept the pole on deck for the morning. Following discussions with the coxswains, it was decided that the hydrographic launches Gannet and Kinglett would remain onboard while the larger Investigator was fuelled and dispatched to its survey block, travelling at a reduced speed to ensure the safety of its Parks crew.

CCG Oiler David Horbas looks over the sea ice

RV Investigator tied up along CCGS Sir Wilfrid Laurier

At exactly noon, the fog suddenly lifted and helicopter and full survey operations resumed. The Nunavut archeologists flew back to Erebus Bay to continue their work, while Gannet and Kinglett's teams were deployed out to their own multibeam survey sites. Once the launches were off the ship, our crew lowered the Laurier's pole back into the ocean and we raised anchor. All surveys vessels were at work until dusk, and we dropped anchor for the night.

Date modified: